I’m involved in broadly defined cognitive science. I was born in 1987 in Krakow, Poland. I completed my Ph.D. thesis on The structure of neurocognitive theories in 2013. Currently, I’m Assistant Professor (full-time job) at the Copernicus Center for Interdisciplinary Studies of the Jagiellonian University (Krakow, Poland). I also work part-time at the Section of Cognitive Science at the Institute of Philosophy and Sociology of the Polish Academy of Sciences (Warsaw). My research work is in cognitive science/psychology of mathematics (numerical and geometric cognition) as well as on methodology of cognitive science.
- I’m preparing a book entitled The Foundations of Geometric Cognition under contract with Routledge
- Guest co-editor of the forthcoming Synthese Special Issue „Explanation in cognitive science: Unification vs pluralism”; CfP is here.
- Guest co-editor of the forthcoming Theory & Psychology Special Issue „Mechanisms in psychology: The road towards unity?”.
Stipends and awards
- The „Start” Scholarship of the Foundation for Polish Science (2018)
- The Scholarship of the Polish Minister of Science and Higher Education for outstanding young scholars (2013-2016)
- Ph.D. and Post-Doc fellowships funded by the John Templeton Foundation (2013-2014)
- Scientific Prize of „POLITYKA”, one of the most read Polish weeklies (2013)
Current research grants
- Mechanisms of Geometric Cognition (National Science Centre, Poland; PI, 2016-2019) [LINK]
- Cognitive Science in Search of Unity Research Project (National Science Centre, Poland; co-investigator, 2015-2020) [LINK]
- Brożek, B., Heller, M., & Hohol, M. (Eds.) (2016). The Concept of Explanation. Kraków: Copernicus Center Press [LINK].
- Brożek, B., & Hohol, M. (2014). Umysł matematyczny (The Mathematical Mind). Kraków: Copernicus Center Press (in Polish) [LINK, sample chapter].
- Stelmach, J., Brożek, B., & Hohol, M. (Eds.) (2013). The Many Faces of Normativity. Kraków: Copernicus Center Press [LINK].
- Hohol, M. (2013). Wyjaśnić umysł. Struktura teorii neurokognitywnych (Explaining the Mind: The Structure of Neurocognitive Theories). Kraków: Copernicus Center Press (in Polish) [LINK, sample chapter].
selected peer-reviewed articles and contributed chapters:
- Miłkowski, M., Clowes, R.W., Rucińska, Z., Przegalińska, A., Zawidzki, T., Gies, A., Krueger, J., McGann, M., Afeltowicz, Ł., Wachowski, W.M., Stjernberg, F., Loughlin, V., Hohol, M. (2018). From wide cognition to mechanisms: A silent revolution. Frontiers in Psychology, https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.02393 [LINK]
- Miłkowski, M., Hensel, W.M., Hohol, M. (2018). Replicability or reproducibility? On the replication crisis in computational neuroscience and sharing only relevant detail. Journal of Computational Neuroscience. online first, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10827-018-0702-z [LINK] [PDF]
- Hohol, M., Wołoszyn, K., Nuerk, H.-C., Cipora, K. (2018). A large-scale survey on ﬁnger counting routines, their temporal stability and ﬂexibility in educated adults. PeerJ 6(e5878). https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.5878 [LINK] [PDF]
- Hohol, M., Baran, B., Krzyżowski, M., Francikowski, J. (2017). Does spatial navigation have a blind-spot? Visiocentrism is not enough to explain the navigational behavior comprehensively. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 11(154). https://doi.org/10.3389/fnbeh.2017.00154 [LINK] [PDF]
- Wołoszyn, K., Hohol, M. (2017). Commentary: The poverty of embodied cognition. Frontiers in Psychology, 8(845). http://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00845 [LINK] [PDF]
- Hohol, M., Cipora, K., Willmes, K., Nuerk, H.-C. (2017). Bringing back the balance: Domain-general processes are also important in numerical cognition. Frontiers in Psychology, 8(499). http://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00499 [LINK] [PDF]
- Cipora, K., Hohol, M., Nuerk, H.-C., Willmes, K., Brożek, B., Kucharzyk, B., Nęcka, E. (2016) Professional mathematicians differ from controls in their spatial-numerical associations, Psychological Research, 80, 710–726. http://doi.org/10.1007/s00426-015-0677-6 [LINK] [PDF]
- Kwiatek, Ł., Hohol, M. (2016). Embodiment, simulation and the meaning of language. In J. Stelmach, B. Brożek, Ł. Kwiatek (Eds), The normative mind (111–133). Kraków: Copernicus Center Press [PDF]
- Kwiatek, Ł., Hohol, M. (2016). The emergence of symbolic communication: From intentional gestures of great apes to human language. In J. Stelmach, B. Brożek i Ł. Kurek (Eds), The emergence of normative orders (184–213). Kraków: Copernicus Center Press [PDF]
- Hohol, M., Furman, M. (2016). On explanation in neuroscience: The mechanistic framework. In M. Heller, B. Brożek, M. Hohol (Eds), The concept of explanation (207-235). Kraków: Copernicus Center Press [PDF]
- Brożek, B., Hohol, M. (2015). Language as a tool: An insight from cognitive science. Studia Humana, 4(2), 16–25. http://doi.org/10.1515/sh-2015-0013 [PDF] [LINK]
- Hohol, M. (2014). To frame an opponent: Cognitive science and (legal) negotiations. In J. Stelmach, B. Brożek (Eds). Studies in the philosophy of law, Vol. 8 (103-119). Kraków: Copernicus Center Press [PDF]
- Hohol, M., Urbańczyk, P. (2014). Some remarks on embodied-embedded social cognition. In J. Dębiec, M. Heller, B. Brożek, J. LeDoux (Eds), Emotional brain revisited (279-302). Kraków: Copernicus Center Press [PDF]
- Hohol, M., Urbańczyk, P. (2013). Self-deception: Between philosophy and cognitive neuroscience. In J. Stelmach, B. Brożek, Ł. Kurek (Eds), Philosophy In neuroscience (219-253). Kraków: Copernicus Center Press [PDF]
- Hohol, M. (2013). The normativity of mathematics: A neurocognitive approach. In J. Stelmach, B. Brożek, M. Hohol (Eds), The many faces of normativity (191-222). Kraków: Kraków [PDF]
- I teach Cognitive Science at the SWPS University in Warsaw, Poland as well as at the Polish-Japanese Academy of Information Technology in Warsaw, Poland.
- My past teaching experience includes the following academic courses (for BS/BA, MS/MA, post-diploma as well as Ph.D. students): Cognitive Science, Cognitive Psychology, Social Cognition, Embodied Mind, Mathematical Cognition, Mind and Evolutionary Sciences, Neuroscience and Self, Introduction to Philosophy, Philosophy of Mind, Introduction to Logic, Philosophy of Science, Cognitive Linguistics.
Selected conferences (with materials)
- AISC Coference 2017 (Associazione Italiana di Science Cognitive / Italian Association of Cognitive Sccience), Bologna, Italy, 14-16.12.2017: Challenging embodied numerical cognition: Are finger counting habits stable over time? [oral presentation]
- Mechanistic Integration and Unification in Cognitive Science, Warsaw, Poland, 23-25.06.2016: Geometric cognition as explanandum [oral presentation]
- 34. European Workshop on Cognitive Neuropsychology, Bressanone, Italy, 24-29.01.2016: Temporal stability and situational influences on finger counting procedures – insights from large-scale survey [poster]
- 19th Conference of the European Society for Cognitive Psychology (ESCOP), Paphos, Cyprus, 17–20.09.2015: Do professional mathematicians differ from controls in elementary numerical processing: insights from magnitude classification task [poster]
- 33. European Workshop on Cognitive Neuropsychology, Bressanone, Italy, 25-30.01.2015: Elementary numerical processing in professional mathematicians – insights from numerical distance and unit decade compatibility effects [oral presentation & poster]
- Educational Neuroscience of Mathematics, Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen, Tübingen, 3-4.09.2014: Do professional mathematcians differ from controls in their number-space associations? Evidence from the SNARC effect [poster]
Copernicus Center for Interdisciplinary Studies,
Szczepańska St. 1/5, 31-011 Cracow, Poland
Institute of Philosophy and Sociology,
Polish Academy of Sciences
Nowy Świat St. 72, 00-330 Warsaw, Poland
My personal e-mail is: